ILGA-Europe opens media accreditation for its annual conference
On 25-28 October 2007, ILGA-Europe holds its 11th Annual Conference (29th ILGA European Annual Conference) in the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius. The title of this conference is “ LGBT Rights are Human Rights – Respect, Recognition and Responsibilities”.
The purpose of ILGA-Europe’s Annual Conference is two-fold: firstly, this a unique opportunity for LGBT activists across Europe to get together and discuss common problems and challenges, share experiences and best practices on tackling discrimination and advancing equality and human rights for LGBT people, as well as celebrating achievements and sketching future projects, strategies and tactics. Secondly, this is also ILGA-Europe’s Annual General Meeting when ILGA European members approve the activity and financial reports from ILGA-Europe’s Executive Board for the past year, elect the new board for the next year and discuss other organisational issues. During this year’s Conference the delegates will vote on the second ILGA-Europe Strategic Plan (2008-2011).
Among the confirmed guests speakers at this year’s Annual Conference are:
- Michael O’Flaherty, Member of the United Nations’ Human Rights Committee
- Belinda Pyke, Director of the European Commission’s Directorate General Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities
- Michael Cashman, Member of the European Parliament, Co-President of the European Parliament’s Intergroup on Gay and Lesbian Rights
- Hans Ytterberg, the Ombudsman against Discrimination on grounds of Sexual Orientation, Sweden
We are also expecting confirmations from the representatives of other European and Lithuanian authorities.
One of the Conference’s highlights will be a Rainbow Flag event taking place in the evening of 25th October. The Annual Conference’s delegates and Lithuanian activists are planning to stage a public event displaying a 30 meter long rainbow flag in central Vilnius. Earlier this year the Mayor of Vilnius not only banned Lithuanian activists from displaying this flag publicly, but also banned the European Commission’s Anti-Discrimination Truck from the city as the activists planned to display the flag during the Truck’s stop in the city. This was the first and the only time the EC’s Anti-Discrimination Truck was banned in any EU city.
In order to obtain accreditation for media pass, please send a completed Media Registration Form with proof of credentials. You will also find attached provisional programme of our Annual Conference.
For more information please contact
Juris Lavrikovs at + 32 2 609 54 16 / + 32 496 708 375
Notes for editors:
(1) ILGA-Europe is the European Region of the International Lesbian and Gay Association and works for equality and human rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Europe: www.ilga-europe.org
(2) More information about the Annual Conference ion Vilnius is available on our website: www.ilga-europe.org/conference
(3) ILGA-Europe’s media release on the ban of EU Anti-Discrimination Truck and display of Rainbow Flag is available on our website: www.ilga-europe.org/europe/media/mayor_of_vilnius_does_not_allow_eu_anti...