1st Conference Mailing
This section contains all the documents included in the 1st Conference Mailing.
Dear friends and members,
ILGA-Europe is delighted to invite you to the 20th Annual Conference in Nicosia in Cyprus from 19 – 22 October 2016 to explore the theme “Power to the People - Celebrating 20 years of the strength within”.
We are immensely grateful to our 2016 conference hosts, ACCEPT – LGBT Cyprus. ACCEPT has been doing a tremendous work to combat discrimination and promote the rights of LGBTI people in Cyprus; aims which perfectly mirror the equality goals of ILGA-Europe.
Register now! The Registration Form is now online. The deadline for registration is Friday, 19 August 2016.
The two decades of ILGA-Europe’s existence have been bittersweet for the LGBTI movement. Even if the movement has gained a strong position and was successful in pushing for positive change, we have also witnessed how LGBTI people have been targeted and their space has shrunken in the past few years.
Nonetheless, it should be acknowledged that equality-based values and the respect of human rights are elements not only shared by LGBTI communities but also cherished by others. Individuals that come together to uphold values that are important to them hold people’s power. In fact the LGBTI movement has demonstrated the potential of people power and true mobilisation.
In Nicosia we would like to explore key questions around people’s power and how to achieve a positive change for all people. However, firstly we should think about the change we would like to see achieved by asking ourselves: what is our vision of the society we want to live in? Please share your thoughts about it! Read about the Conference theme here.
To address this theme, we have already confirmed a number of fantastic speakers. At this stage we are thrilled to present you already four confirmed keynote speakers: Broden Giambrone, Chief Executive at Transgender Equality Network Ireland (TENI); Kevin Jennings, Arcus Foundation Executive Director; Michael O’Flaherty, New FRA director; Rikki Beadle-Blair, Creative Director at Team Angelica. Following last years’ success, Miguel Vale de Almeida (anthropologist, professor at the University Institute of Lisbon, and LGBTI activist) has again agreed to be our conference host.
This first official mailing includes the following documents:
- Welcome letter from Local Host
- Nomination form for candidates for the ILGA-Europe Executive Board
- Nomination form for candidates for the ILGA Executive Board
- Endorsement of nominations for ILGA-Europe Executive Board
- Endorsement of nominations for ILGA Executive Board
- Delegation and proxy form
- Guidance for the nomination of ILGA-Europe Executive Board members
- Guidelines to submit Proposals or Resolutions to ILGA-Europe constitution or standing orders
- Guidelines for organisations wishing to host ILGA-Europe Annual Conference 2018
The calendar of mailings and other important dates is as follows:
- 26 July 2016 – Deadline for submission of proposals
- 9 August 2016 – Second Mailing
- 19 August 2016 – Deadline for registration of conference participants
- 1 September 2016 – Deadline for nominations of candidates for the ILGA-Europe Executive Board, ILGA (World) representatives, for amendments to proposals, for submission of proposals to host the 2018 conference
- 27 September 2016 – Third Mailing
Finally, may we kindly remind you of the opportunity to help us build a truly diverse conference this year by making a contribution to our Diversity Fund? Please make a small donation today and help more people come to join us in Cyprus.
We look forward to meeting you in Nicosia, and hope to see you in great numbers.
Joyce Hamilton and Brian Sheehan