Support the EP report against discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity!
On Tuesday 4 February, Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) will vote on a report written by MEP Ulrike Lunacek asking the European Commission to adopt a strategy (Roadmap) against discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity.
A petition coming from religious extremists, anti-choice and other ultra-conservative groups has already gathered over 100,000 signatures. This petition is circulating and calling upon MEPs to reject the Lunacek report. The petition and letters sent to the MEPs include a lot of misinformation and lies.
The Lunacek Report is asking the EU to act strictly within its competences and to do for LGBT people what it has already done for Roma, for gender equality and the rights of people with disabilities.
It does not ask for any ‘special’ rights or laws for LGBT people. It simply encourages the EU to act within its existing competences and to apply its own laws and policies to LGBT people in an equal and systematic way.
The Report is a necessary response to an EU wide problem – the fact that nearly 50% of LGBT people living in the EU experience discrimination or harassment (FRA Survey, 2013).
Therefore the EU needs to take leadership and to act to address these issues. The Roadmap is an efficient tool to tackle this EU wide problem.
Please find the report here.
We need to stop this misleading discourse and join forces for the progress of LGBTI equality in the EU.
Please take action! Join the campaign #LunacekYes = stop extremism.
What you can do:
1. If you are using social media such as Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr, then join the Thunderclap action of ILGA-Europe by following the steps here.
(Thunderclap is a social media based platform that helps people be heard by saying something together. If enough people support it, Thunderclap will blast out a timed Facebook Post or Tweet from all your supporters, creating a wave of attention.)
2. Tweet to MEPs that they should support the Lunacek Report. Use the hashtag #LunacekYES. MEPs’ Twitter accounts are on their profile page on the European Parliament website: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/map.html (click on your country map and select your MEP profile)
3. Write to your Member of the European Parliament and tell her/him that
· the European Parliament will debate and vote on Lunacek Report and EU LGBT Roadmap on 4 February 2014
· equality and dignity for all is EU fundamental principle and the EU must protect all citizens from discrimination, including LGBT people
· the European Parliament must remain a bastion of fundamental rights in the EU and ADOPT the Lunacek Report.
You can find your MEP’s e-mail address from EP website: click on your country map and select your MEP profile: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/map.html