Campaign with #NoHateEP2014
On Wednesday 19 March, ILGA-Europe (the European region of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association) and ENAR (the European Network Against Racism) are launching the Appeal for an European election campaign free from discrimination and intolerance with a press conference in the European Parliament.
The 2014 European Parliament elections are taking place in a context marked by the crisis and the rise of extremist parties in different parts of the European Union. Exclusion and intolerance represent a real threat for the human rights of many European citizens, in particular members of ethnic, religious and/or sexual minorities.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people are often targeted and instrumentalised by hostile statements. Migrants, asylum seekers, Roma, people of African descent, Muslims, Jews and many other ethnic or religious minorities suffer from very similar attacks. ENAR and ILGA-Europe, two leading anti-racist and LGBTI European NGOs, have decided to react together. Common actions will promote and reinforce solidarity between our respective communities. We’ll monitor the electoral campaign and react to any attempts to instigate mutual fear and hostility between them.
On 19 March, the main European political parties are joining ILGA-Europe and ENAR to launch an Appeal for an election campaign free from discrimination and intolerance. Together, we reassert the EU’s democratic and inclusive values. We combat incitement to discrimination, prejudice, stigmatisation and confusion.
- Ms. Marije Laffeber, Deputy Secretary General, on behalf of the Party of European Socialists (PES)
- Mr. Christian Kremer, Deputy Secretary General, on behalf of the European People’s Party (EPP)
- Ms. Lousewies Van der Laan, Vice-President, on behalf of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe Party (ALDE Party)
- Mr. Raül Romeva i Rueda MEP, on behalf of the European Green Party
- Ms. Marisa Matias MEP, Vice-President, on behalf of the European Left Party (tbc)
- Evelyne Paradis, Executive Director, ILGA-Europe
- Michael Privot, Director, ENAR
When: Wednesday 19 March 2014, 12.00 – 12.30
Where: Press Room of the European Parliament