PRECIS – Prevention and empowerment in the CIS
ILGA-Europe is a joint partner in the project “Prevention and Empowerment in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS)” (PRECIS), with COC Netherlands (grantee and coordinator of the project) and GenderDoc-M. The three organisations form the project's management committee.
The project period was from January 2006 to 28 February 2011.
Overall project goal of the project
To combat the spread of HIV/AIDS and other STIs among LGBT communities via capacity building of LGBT organisations in the CIS .
Five components in the project
- capacity building of LGBT organisations
- empowerment of LGBT communities
- HIV/AIDS and STI prevention campaigns
- monitoring of the HIV/AIDS situation among LGBT communities in the project countries
ILGA-Europe is responsible for implementation of the project’s advocacy component. The overall goal of the component is to advocate for inclusive policies on sexual and reproductive health and rights and for the enhancement of human rights of LGBT people at the national level in the project countries and at the level of European Union, Council of Europe, OSCE and in United Nations fora.
ILGA-Europe assists national partners by:
- lobbying at European level to assist national partners achieve their advocacy goals;
- providing training sessions on advocacy planning and advocacy skills - read more about the training sessions here;
- Organising study visits to EU, Council of Europe and OSCE institutions - read more about the study visits here;
- Writing an manual on using international human rights standards in advocacy for LGBT communities in NIS countries - find the manual 'Make It Work: Six steps to effective LGBT human rights advocacy' here;
- Advising on advocacy strategies and on responding to human rights violations.
Project beneficiaries are LGBT organisations in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and Ukraine as well as their communities. The advocacy material produced within the project will also be utilized by other actors such as, especially ILGA-Europe members and LGBT organisations in other countries.
Project partners in the CIS
Amulet based in Almaty in Kazakhstan
Gender & Developmentbased in Baku in Azerbaijan
Gender Doc M based in Chisinau in Moldova
Inclusive Foundation based in Tbilisi in Georgia
Labrys based in Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan
Liga based in Nikolaev in the Ukraine
We For Civil Equality based in Yerevan in Armenia
Za Ravney Prava based in Kherson in the Ukraine
Any enquires about this project, contact Beth Fernandez, Senior Programmes and Policy Officer.
Find the booklet about the lessons learned in the PRECIS project here. (in English and in Russian)
On 7th and 8th February 2011 over 150 participants gathered in Chisinau, Moldova to conclude the five year Precis project (Prevention and Empowerment in CIS) of COC-Netherlands, GenderDoc-M and ILGA-Europe and LGBT organisations from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and Ukraine.
ILGA-Europe has been conducting two day advocacy planning sessions with the PRECIS project partner organisations.
Read more here, and see pictures from some of the sessions
The advocacy manual which has been produced by ILGA-Europe to provide a logical structure and a set of methods, tools and skills which human rights defenders can use in planning and implementing their advocacy work. It is primarily concerned with how and where LGBT human rights defenders in the domestic setting can employ international and regional human rights instruments to frame their arguments and achieve their advocacy objectives.
Find reports of the project activities here.