Call for Papers- International Archives, Libraries, Museums and Special Collections Conference on the Future of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Histories (LGBTI ALMS 2012)
6th floor Public Library Amsterdam
1011 DL Amsterdam
LGBTI ALMS 2012
“With this conference you are shifting a way of operating from embattled isolation to involvement in cultural life in Europe and North America. The idea that there is a history in itself is important. It is important both politically and as a support of advocacy movements.” Graeme Reid, director of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender rights program, Human Rights Watch.
The conference will:
- Consolidate our knowledge of archiving as a tool in building democratic and free societies, making LGBTI histories accessible to all
- Strengthen the pan-European and global network of LGBTI organizations that collect our histories and make them available to the public
- Exchange and share the bountiful knowledge of LGBTI archives from other continents with European actors
- Advance the practice of collecting oral histories, an invaluable way of recording the life stories of LGBTI people, in Europe and the world, as well as other new methods of making our histories accessible
- Build ongoing collaboration between LGBTI ALMS organizations as well as with cultural heritage institutions and strengthen ties between stakeholders
- Showcase IHLIA as inspiration for participants.
IHLIA is seeking proposals that are informative and relevant, influenced by experience and desire, encourage opportunities for learner engagement and/or demonstrate the application of the following five activities to the work of collecting and making available the histories of LGBTI people. We acknowledge that the LGBTI community has many layers of diversity, including gender, ethnicity, religion, abilities, emigrant and immigrant.
The call for proposals is now open. See http://www.ihlia.nl/english/english/english_home/LGBT%20ALMS%202012%20Conference/ALMS%20Proposals
You can submit your abstract here: http://www.ihlia.nl/english/english/english_home/LGBT%20ALMS%202012%20Conference/Abstract
The LGBTI ALMS 2012 website is at
To register, you can link through the LGBTI ALMS 2012 website or go directly to
IHLIA does not have a sponsor for funding scholarships. But we have you, and other participants and all your friends, who understand how important it is that you come to Amsterdam to share exchange and strategize. We have developed an online strategy so you can help us raise the funds needed to get you to the Conference!
To sign up for a Scholarship, go to the home page of the Conference. Also, on the registration page, indicate that you are signing up for a scholarship. That way you can register, submit a paper and start the process of searching for the funds needed to get you to Amsterdam!
Please contact email@example.com with any questions or comments you have