Montenegrin Minister Lends Backing to Gay Pride
Reposted from Balkan Insight: http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/montenegro-s-minister-back-gay-pride-parade
Predrag Boskovic, Minister of Labour and Welfare, said he was willing to support a gay Pride parade planned for October.
Boskovic lent his backing for the Pride parade after meeting representatives of Queer Montenegro, a gay rights NGO, on Wednesday in Podgorica.
In July, the organization said it was determined to organise a Pride parade in Podgorica in October after a previous attempt in 2011 was cancelled amid violence.
Boskovic told the group that a gay parade "will be an opportunity for Montenegro to show that it is working on improving their status in the society”, the Ministry stated after the meeting.
Jelko Kacin, vice-chairman of the European Parliament's delegation for the Western Balkans, said earlier this month that a Pride parade would help the country’s EU membership talks.
Montenegro's first Gay Pride parade, organized by rights activist Zdravko Cimbaljevic, was supposed to have taken place on May 31, 2011.
However, the march was cancelled following two attacks on gays in Podgorica before the start of the event.
Ferhad Dinosa, then the Minister for Human and Minority Rights, was then accused of making homophobic remarks and subsequently removed from office in late 2011.
In May this year, Montenegro’s Anti-Discrimination Council unanimously supported a draft strategy aimed at improving life for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transsexuals over the next five years.